Wednesday 13 January 2016

From the personal journal of Irisz Magyari

First things first; I offered Takahashi the field second in command role and he accepted it. It's not that much of a good deal for him; added responsibilities with only a small bump in pay, but he seemed willing to take it on. I think he'll do a good job of it, given his experience and the talent he's shown so far. He's also very unlikely to run off and do something reckless and halfway to suicidal, which is why I picked him over Will Owens for the job. I think the only issue is that Dae-Hoon will not appreciate me promoting a relative newcomer over him, but there's a certain logic to it. After all, Takahashi's going to be there in the field, not dropping shells on the enemy form a couple of kilometers back.

Best case scenario is that he gets angry about it and quits. That would actually solve a lot of problems in one go, even if it does mean that I'd lose an experienced artillery commander in the process,

Unfortunately, what I am losing is Ransom. As soon as we were down on Galatea, there were AFFS representatives pretty much knocking down my door to headhunt him. It seems word of what happened on Fletcher is already spreading (Major Petrie was clearly impressed) which means the Feds are looking for experienced and skilled operators to do... Whatever it is he does (I have some good ideas, mind you...) and hopefully do something to turn around their situation.

I will miss him, even if he was only with us for a short period, I understand why. Given his past and the ongoing mystery related to his family's command. I don't want to see him go, but I cannot compel him to stay either. It's a pity, as he's a great pilot and possesses a wide array of other skills, and he was definitely getting along well with several of the unit's members.

The good news is that I was able to throw him a small bone on the way out; it wasn't much, but if it provides some clues, even incredibly incoincequential ones, as to what happened to his family's unit, then it's something. I found a couple of references to the Highland Gryphons in Annika's personal journals, albeit post-dated and referring back to some event in the past. Unfortunately, those events are in the mass of redacted material that forms a yawning black hole in our past.

What I do know is that, based on known historical record and those parts of our history that aren't missing, is that our two commands were on the same side during the Jihad. They both worked for the Coalition, and they both fought during operations SCOUR and SCYTHE. What I don't know is if they worked together or even were present during the same planetary campaigns or even on the same battlefields, but it is a good start. I have a few openings there that I can investigate, and Nikola says he might be able to turn up something as well.

Great unsolved mysteries of our time aside, Ransom is definitely determined to enjoy his last days with the unit. He got dragged into one of Takahashi and Randy's insane archery contests (along with Shona) and wound up not only winning it, but also doing such with considerable flair. So while he cleaned up in the prize pool (oh, and Zhen also made off like a bandit on the betting) the big win for him was a date with Maria. Given the way the pair of them were acting this morning, I'd say that it went very well.

I'll also miss his (adopted) daughter Akumi. She was just the cutest little thing, and the way she got along with Maria was adorable and hilarious at the same time. The pair of them became sparring partners, something that I can tell they both enjoyed immensely beyond Maria's usual desire to pick a fight with anyone (When you're the second tallest person in the unit, you do that a lot) and laugh about it later. And watching Akumi wail on Maria with her practice sword was hilarious.

Although apparently I'm not to let Maria's mother know of this, as she'll start trying to guilt-trip Maria over the fact that she hasn't presented her with a half-dozen grandchildren yet. Not that I'd know anything about that either. Ahem.

I have feelers out on recruitment, although it might be some time before we can get something solid. The current market is insane, with units forming and collapsing at a rate that hasn't been seen since the Clan Invasion. There's a large pool of recruits, but finding actual quality is getting hard given the air of desperation that's settled into the market. There’s a lot of people out there who are only on the market because they have nowhere else to go, and a lot who are hiring the first warm body that they will take. The last thing I want to do is fill gaps with rookies for the sake of making up numbers and instead wind up hurting our overall unit quality and cohesion. That's what my father did and that worked out so well for us.

Anyway, I should be getting ready for a 'meeting' of my own. This isn't business at all, though I could raise the Highland Gryphons issue. Merc units with long memories and all that.


No comments:

Post a Comment