Sunday 27 July 2014

LIC Communications Intercept 6439-3-B/Kamenez

WLF-2H Wolfhound, Carson's Carnivores
Carson: What the hell was that, Major?

Isling: That was a minor setback, admittedly. Things didn't go entirely to plan.

Carson: 'Minor setback' is a nice way of putting it. I lost another one of my already scarce supply of 'Mechs. You lost two tanks and your second. And we got nothing for it beyond beating up a couple of 'Mechs in reply. That's not a 'minor' setback. That's a grade A screw-up.

Isling: Captain Craswell's [EDITOR'S NOTE: Captain Marlene Craswell; see attached dossier] death was unfortunate, yes. However, at the same time, It would be easy to say that my men aren't to blame. Your 'Mechs didn't exactly put up much of a fight either.

Carson: I had a Recon Lance going up against an assault one. What were they meant to do? The heaviest of mine matched the lightest of theirs, and it's not like either of us could have matched that Akuma.


Isling: They could have concentrated fire on the wounded Vulture or Carronade and bought one of them down. They could not have run off and hid while my tanks were pummeled by their fire. They could have actually pulled their weight in the fight, rather then running scared.

Carson: Well I'll let Lieutenant Lopez know that when I see him. That will make losing his Wolfhound so much easier for a 'could have'

Isling: I am not assigning blame here, major. Believe it or not, Im on your side here. Were both professionals, we both know how much losses hurt and we both have contracts to fulfill. My men took far greater losses than yours in that last skirmish. Two heavy tanks destroyed and their crews killed against one BattleMech captured while the MechWarrior escaped.

Carson: Id have a bit more sympathy if it had been your men getting pummeled at the spaceport, not mine. Were down five Mechs so far, including the deaths of two of my warriors, and the remaining ones are all in need of work.

Isling: You have your orders. Pelzer has made it clear that we are to hold the line for now and not lead them anywhere useful.

Carson: Im beginning to regret signing on to this job. Actually, thats not true. Ive been regretting it for ages. Its just really hitting me now.

Isling: Regardless, this is only a minor setback. True, this one battle didnt go as expected, but we still are on track.

Carson: On track for what? My men are running themselves ragged across the countryside. I've got one officer as a PoW, one more without a ride and the rest of my 'Mechs aren't exactly sitting pretty either. We havent had the time to stop for repairs lest we be spotted and rounded up. And to add to it, Colonel Lady is riding my arse all the time over what happened at the port.

Isling: Are you done?

Carson: I'm done when I get my ship and my men back, Isling. You know theyve been making broadcasts about that? They're offering my ship back and safe passage off-world if we surrender now. I'm tempted to take that and the hit to our reputation it'll mean over another 'setback' like the last one, because sure as hell it got me no closer.

Isling: I understand your concerns, Major. Belive me, events are in motion. You'll have your ship back soon.

Carson: I'll believe it when it happens. You have until midnight tomorrow, Markus, and then I'm taking their offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment