Sunday 15 January 2017

From Matthias Kaine's Personal Corrispondance

Sharkey,

I know that our alliance wasn’t exactly founded on mutual respect, and that we have never liked each other. Hell, we only really tolerate each other’s existence because we both need things that the other can get. But I’m sending you this letter for a reason.

See, just under an hour ago, a bunch of mercs broke into the spaceport. They managed to sneak their way in somehow, getting past all my guards, all my perimeter patrols, all the roadblocks I set up in the crawlspace and everything else. They gassed my men with some sort of anaesthetic; had the Starport’s filters not caught it and tried to shut the system down, they would have flooded the place and knocked out me and all my men. As it happened, they still managed to knock out everyone inside the underground for a few minutes.



That was long enough for them to get in and retrieve their technicians. Yeah, the ones that I was holding as hostages to ensure their good behaviour. I mean, hell, I could allways use more techs. Personally, I was planning to keep them. Killing them would have been stupid and a waste of useful skills. They almost got out without being detected too.

Fortunately, one of my men was awake enough to sound the alarm. That seemed to cut them off as they were trying to destroy one of the ‘Mech bays; instead they chose to cut and run. That’s when it turned into a gunfight as they tried to get away. I had my men on them, and even sent out a Quasit after them. One of them, maybe the mad bomber from before, managed to take it’s hip out with a satchel charge.

Imagine that, having the balls to run after something with a Plasma Rifle while on foot. That’s the sort of talent I could use.

They got away; they had VTOLs on standby for extraction. It was clean for them too. I lost several men and that Quasit is gimped. And it cost them next to nothing.

I knew they were after me from the moment they touched down and took out the Chasseurs. I’m the only threat on this rock that warrants hiring a whole merc unit to hunt down. That’s why I took their techs, after all. I figured that having their men while they didn’t know where I was would stop them dead. Funny how that didn’t work out.

And now I know they’ll be after me. They have my locations, and they have nothing to hold them back. I can’t get moving fast enough; both my droppers are still undergoing repairs, and there’s no way that I can get them airborne in the time that it’s going to take them to get their act together. So we’re going to have to stand and fight. I mean, I can make them pay for each and every inch of ground, and I am not going to go down easy, but I have no illusions about this. It’s going to be bloody, regardless of the outcome.

So you might ask why I’m telling you all of this. See, the thing is, Sharkey, you were the only one who knew where we were hiding, and yet they found us. That tells me one of two things. The first is that you screwed up and somehow let them know where I was. The second is that you deliberately ratted me out.

And I can’t tolerate either.

So here’s the thing. Regardless of what happens, you are a dead man. And that’s why I’m sending you this. I want you to know that what’s about to come is entirely your fault. And I want you to live the last few hours of your life pissing your pants with fear as you look over your shoulder at every step. Yeah, I know about your safe room. I know about your country retreat. I know about your safe house in the bad part of town. I was prepared for this moment.

Have fun with the last moments of your life

Kaine

No comments:

Post a Comment